Monday, March 7, 2011

Adventures in cooking... One year later

Well folks, back on my cooking kick.  Maybe sticking with it this time; it's been almost three weeks!  Hahahaha.  I've also gotten back on the writing/letting everyone know what's going on in my life kick, and decided to start the blaaaag back up.  So lets do this.  (Starting out with my most disastrous meal, of course.  Makes for good reading.)


*****BREAKFAST DINNER PIZZA*****

INGREDIENTS:
12 oz prepared pizza crust
2 oz pkg bacon pieces 
1/2 lrg tomato, sliced thin
8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded 
1 lrg egg 
1 c milk 
1/8 t basil 


DIRECTIONS:
Place pizza crist on pizza pan.  Layer bacon, tomato, then cheese on a crust.  
Whisk egg, milk, basil.  Drizzle evenly over pizza.  Bake at 425, 25 min, or until egg mixture is completely set.
I know what you're saying, and trust me. There is PLENTY to mess up here, and I messed it up royally. First off, if you are going to make this, please remember to use an uncooked crust. Obvious, maybe, but hind sight is 20/20, and maybe if I hadn't pointed it out you would have made the same mistake. I guess we'll never know. Anyway, even if you get one that's pre-made from the store... If you cook an already cooked crust at 425 degrees for 25 minutes, you will burn it. Just so you are aware.

Secondly, use a pizza pan. This probably would have been more obvious to me had I thought about getting an uncooked pizza crust... But I figured if it was already cooked, why would I need a pizza pan? Well, this is why, ladies and gentlemen - eggs run. A lot. Especially when you put them on a flat, already cooked pizza crust, in an apparently tilted oven/kitchen. Given my apartment complex, I wouldn't be surprised if it was truthfully the kitchen. (John has already discovered that the bathroom, at very least, is tilted... Ask me about it if you want the details.) Anyway, back to the point. Eggs will run all over the place, even more so when they're mixed up with milk. I still have not cleaned the milk/egg mix off the bottom of the oven completely, and am reminded of my epic failure every time I turn the oven on to cook anything. A lesson I will not soon forget, let me tell you.

John thought the very middle was really good, given that it was the least burned area of the crust, but I suspect he was just sparing my feelings. He was a good sport, and ate it anyway, which I only did out of principle... I was still denying at this point any wrong doing or mishap on my part, and trying desperately to blame the recipe/tilted kitchen/physics/acts of God for my destroyed pizza. But I have come to terms, and there it is.

TL;DR - Please remember, when cooking pizzas that have raw eggs on them and will need to cook longer than 5-10 minutes, use an uncooked pizza crust. Also, strongly consider using a pizza pan for the dough, and giving it an actual crust. I can't actually rate this recipe, as I obviously ruined it, but if I come across it again, I will let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment